I am are very excited to launch my new online lecture series.
A lot of my time is normally spent with riders mounted, but there is so much knowledge that I can be sharing with horse owners…
I’m a Senior Lecturer at Nottingham Trent University with 20 years experience lecturing at Degree level. I remain passionate about coaching and regularly add to my professional skill set. I completed the Advanced Psychology for Equestrian Coaches with Centre10 and am currently undertaking Thomas Equestrian Symmetry Types with Andy Thomas. Plus, in my Lecturer role and as a professional Eventer I also keep up-to-date with new training methods, for both horse and rider, as well as equine research and therapy.
So for this reason – I have launched the idea of an online lecture series.
How will these help you?
Are you the kind of person who loves to learn more about your horse(s) and how to train them well? Or do you want to get your head in the game ready for when competitions start? You can turn lockdown time into learning time by getting some top tips now based on my 30 years experience.
What will be covered?
We will be covering a wealth of topics and they will be approached from a very practical point of view. So come and learn some top tips!!! You can find details of each session and it’s content towards the bottom of this page.
How will the sessions be structured?
The session content will be about an hour and then there will be plenty of time for questions after.
If you are running late don’t worry as a full recording of the session will automatically be forwarded to you after the lecture.
Participant microphones will be off but I’m really keen that viewers use the Live Chat to feed in questions for the Q&A session at the end.
You don’t have to turn your video cameras on but it would be lovely to see some friendly faces – so the choice is yours.
Overally it will be like having your own mentor!! So you can ask the questions you’ve always wondered about!
I am also open for more topics on demand – the first lots are just the start! So if there is something in particular you want to learn then just ask and I will either see if that can be addressed during an appropriate session or, look to hold an additional lecture.
How does it work?
You can either pick and mix the ones that you want to attend, or go for the whole lot! The sessions will be recorded and sent out to you within a few days. That way if you can’t do the time slot for any reason you won’t miss out!!
How to Book?
Follow the below links to go through to my online booking page where you can book single, multiple or the whole package of lectures.
Saturday 6 March 2021 at 6.00pm
GETTING BACK ON TRACK!
- Dealing with fresh horses
- Fitness programs
- Making a plan
- Progressing confidently
- Fitting horses in around real life!
Saturday 13 March 2021 at 6.00pm
- Flat work patterns and exercises.
- Pole work – lots of exercises to try
- Dealing with problems – how to adjust
- Grid work
- Distances – setting them out
- Techniques to improve their jump, see a better stride and improve other problems.
Saturday 20 March 2021 at 6.00pm
MINDSET AND GOAL SETTING
- Putting your plan into action
- Dealing with nerves
- Working through achievable goals
- Staying motivated.
Saturday 27 March 2021 at 6.00pm
- Learning your test
- Kit lists – what to take and tips for packing
- How to get your horse ready – peaking on the day
- Top turnout tips.
Saturday 3 April 2021 at 6.00pm
COMPETITION DAY – IN THE ZONE!
- Planning the day
- Walking courses – inc minute markers
- Warm up routines for different types of horses
- Dealing with difficult going
- Care post competition
- 3 day event care.
Saturday 10 April 2021 at 6.00pm
TACK / BITTING
- Understanding all the different options!
- Modern advances – why??
- Fitting bits, bridles and saddles
- Use of saddle pads
- Boots, bandages, ears, masks etc.
- Therapy kit that’s accessible.
Saturday 17 April 2021 at 6.00pm
LUNGING FOR IMPROVEMENT
- Top lunging tips!
- Gadgets – what / how / why!
- Long reining / two line lunging techniques
- Problem solving.
Saturday 24 April 2021 at 6.00pm
BUYING AND SELLING HORSES
- Selling – writing a top advert, photos and videos
- How to prep for viewings
- Buying – what questions to ask
- What to do when you go to view
- Your rights and the legals aspects of buying and selling.
Saturday 1 May 2021 at 6.00pm
THE PERFECT HORSE!!!!
- Conformation for performance – what’s ok, what’s not
- What to look for when buying/ what to avoid
- Foot balance – why its key
- Corrective shoeing – what are the options.
Saturday 8 May 2021 at 6.00pm
- What’s where and what it does!!
- Area of weakness to watch out for
- Understand ‘vet’ speak!
- Skeletal, muscular and soft tissue anatomy.
- Understanding how the horse is put together.